Gaelic Escargot - Home of snail farming in Ireland
Gaelic Escargot is Ireland’s first snail farm and the only Research and Development Centre for breeding free-range Irish snails for domestic and international markets. Gaelic Escargot is to assist all Irish snail farmers in procuring products, obtaining knowledge of breeding, incubating and rearing of snails and finally the sale of their produce. We provide full mentoring for existing snail farmers as well as to those aspiring individuals. We offer half day seminars, breeding stock and hard-to-come by materials for infrastructure. We also provide ongoing support step by step to ultimately ensure the success of each snail farmer. We aim to become the #1 leader in producing the best quality snails in the world. Our farm and Research and Development Centre is located in Garryhill, Co. Carlow.
Gaelic Escargot was born from passion for food. This came to a head while visiting France, where we sampled French escargot. On returning to Ireland we discovered that fresh escargot was not available on the domestic market. After some discussion we decided to try breeding a sample batch just for our own consumption. Our initial stock was breed in our one bedroom apartment in Kilkenny a proved successful. In the meantime we developed a variety of escargot dishes and our friends, who thought we were mad at the time, were not slow in sampling our dishes and they were suitably impressed. Having completed extensive market research, we realised there is a large international shortage in supply and we decided to make a business out of this.
We offer a innovate range of products and materials that are tailored to the Irish climate and conditions, which has been tried and tested over the last 3 years. This ensures the best results in breeding & rearing snails, which leads to an increased profit and lessens labour costs whilst saving time and resources.
Our products range includes:
• Certified Irish Breeding Stock (this ensures higher egg yield per snail).
Our breeders are 4th generation Irish snails. Proven in various studies is that snails from the same climate produce more eggs after each generation. This gives a significant advantage as they produce more babies. Also in the study it was found that they are more resistant to disease and less susceptible to parasites.
Our breeders are carefully selected by hand and supplied to you hibernated on December and January.
• Certified Irish Baby Snails (which are adapted to our weather conditions).
Our baby snails are 5th generation Irish snails, already adapted to the local climate which shortens the time needed to achieve full growth. They are bred with our 4th generation Irish snails, hence the added benefits.
Babies will be delivered by us in the shortest time to limit mortality during transit.
• Equipment & Materials (which will saves time and freight costs).
• Starter packs for your new snail farmers.
This includes Basic Package for a 3 tons Production,
Silver Package for 5 tons production and Golden Package for 10 tons production.
Contact Us Now
Our biggest intellectual property is the knowledge we have gained over the past few years. Being the pioneers that we are, it wasn’t an easy task to start growing snails in Ireland; no one had done it before.
In the beginning we were sure that the recipe we followed was foolproof, but experience proved otherwise. It took us a long time to formulate and incorporate the best of various systems and techniques to suit the Irish weather conditions, then take note of what didn’t work.
As the Polish method works so well we tried to replicate it but found it unsuitable under Irish weather conditions. We then adopted Italian techniques followed by the French trick of the trade, which all failed. This cost us tremendously but finally we formulated a unique system suitable to the Irish climate. This system ensures maximum results with Breeding, Incubation and Fattening of snails.
Through this trial and error learning curve, we paid our dues and now we are ready to share it with the future snail farmers of Ireland. Our aim is to grow a successful and sustainable industry together and ensure that Ireland becomes the #1 supplier of quality snails on domestic and international markets.
We conduct seminars in Carlow for people interested in getting into the business from Monday to Saturday (by appointment only) and the cost is €250 per session. The fee includes an “Introduction to the Snail Farming in Ireland” and full farm tour.
“Introduction to Snail Farming in Ireland” is a start-up package which has been developed to provide future snail farmers with the initial knowledge and understanding of snail farming sector, breeding techniques, existing market & opportunities, infrastructure needed, set up cost, pitfalls and funding available.
Training Session Covers The Following Topics:
1. Snail Breeding Systems
• What snail breeding system do I use/recommend?
• Why do I use/recommend this system?
• What yield, in terms of tons per acre/hectare could be expected from this?
• What breed of snail would I recommend and why?
• What food would I recommend and why?
• Why is the system you recommend better than alternative systems?
2. The Business of Snail Farming
• How much investment money is required before commencing operations?
• What is the minimum size farm that is required to be viable?
• What profits could be expected from this size of farm?
• What would be the ideal size of farm and what profits could be expected from that?
• What are the biggest cost elements involved in snail farming and what is the best method of controlling these costs?
• What are the biggest risks involved in snail farming?
• What are the main reasons for failure?
• What are the main characteristics of all successful snail farms?
• What country have you had experience in selling snail products?
• What is the best marketing strategy to sell products in this/these markets?
• What is the best way to present the products in this market – live, frozen, and processed?
• Are there any opportunities for new products?
• Non food market opportunities that might exist for snail products
4. Grants and Support
• Explaining financial grants and supports available and which programs to enroll with the option of receiving funding
Gaelic Escargot has been the receiver of some prestigious awards. Here are some to name a few.
We are privileged to feature in various publications. Please take the time to read a few.
1st Snail Farming Conference, Athlone 2015
2nd Snail Farming Conference, Tullamore 2016
Food on the Edge Symposium, Galway 2016
The 7 O’Clock Show